SC - Liber Cure Cocorum, again

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Oct 31 16:51:05 PST 1999

Alys K. scripsit:

> I own a copy of _Liber Cure Cocorum_.  It is in the Philological Society's Early English
> Volume, 1862-4 and was printed in London in 1865.  Found it (IIRC) at Pennsic at either
> Esmeralda's books or the Armoury.  Cost all of $35.
>
> The "Liber" that I have was "copied and edited from the Sloan MS. 1986 by Richar Morris.
> It is mentioned that it dates from around 1440 and is written in a Northern dialect.  The
> preface written by Morris includes Northumbrian dialect words and says "From internal
> evidence it would seem that the author of this poem was a native of North West Lancashire..."

This appears to be a second edition of what I'm having copied; mine is
the original 1862 solo edition, with, apparently the entire text and
Morris' commentary, published originally in Berlin, although in English.

> Was there a particular item you were looking for?  Is my book and the library's copy the
> same?  I could see about copying pp 35 and on, although the pages are beginning to fall
> out of the book.
>
> Alys Katharine

As I said, there isn't anything in particular, although it has some
wonderful stuff in it. If, though, as you mention, your copy is in as
bad condition as the Cornell copy I got through I.L.L., which, although
it isn't falling apart or anything, made me a little nervous handling
it, it might be wise for somebody to get a workable copy available to
people who'd actually use it, i.e., us. It would be terrible if these
books decayed beyond the point where they could be salvaged. Even the
supposed professionals at the NY Public Library were rather rough on it,
as I mentioned in an earlier post. Not that I put on the white cotton
gloves or anything, myself. The librarian who had suggested a way to get
around the rules on copying it seemed really interested in just looking
at it, and seemed pleased that somebody was interested in
reviving/salvaging the information in it before it was too late.

As I say, I should have the second half, in a good clean copy, by the
middle of next week. I think I'll be able to get a copy of that to Cindy
Renfrow in hopes that it will be webbed.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com