SC - german/prussian recipe, help needed

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Sep 1 15:03:42 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/1/99 12:13:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Deborah.Schumacher at iac.honeywell.com writes:

<< Margaret mentioned the use of cheddar cheese, whats wrong with that?>>

The process of cheddaring is OOP as far as we know. The first use of the word
cheddar was in 1661 CE.

 <<Another thing i note is that a lot of the pies/tarts when filled, have a
 rather thin filling and that the filling may need to be doubled for modern
 tastes....<snip>.......were medieval pies less full? Or were the pie
 crusts smaller making the filling more substantial?  Do we  know what the
 medieval pie size was?   >>

I don't think we know. However, various pictures from the middle ages show a
common type of 'pie' which appears to be about 6-7 inches across, about 4
inches high, straight sided, with a small hole in the center.

If you are referring to modern amounts in recipes for pies that have been
adapted from period recipes, I would suggest that the author either did not
try the recipe with the amounts stated or used a considerably smaller crust
diameter than stated. If you are referring to a period recipe, then no
amounts are given so you can make as much of the filling as it takes to fill
the pie.

Ras