SC - Help with Fettiplace's Elizabethan sweets recipe

Wajdi a14h at zebra.net
Tue Sep 7 05:31:19 PDT 1999

My second request to the list (again to
someone who is better book endowed then I) is
in relation to an Elizabethan sweet recipe
from Fettiplace that I remember helping with
some years ago (and I have lost my notes in
one of the subsequent house moves).

The recipe basically consisted of taking the
flesh of LOTS of oranges with an equal weight
of sugar, combining and then rolling into
little balls and baking.

I recently made lemon cordial and strained it
as it was full of lots of lemon 'meat'.  Not
wishing to waste anything (and after tasting
the strained mixture), I remembered the above
recipe and proposed to make it with the lemon
mix.  I added extra sugar to 'dry' out the
mix a little and then made little balls of
lemon mush and baked it.  It is really nice
:-)

I would like a look at the original recipe to
see if the lemon is a reasonable
substitution, alternatively, I would
appreciate it if anyone is aware of any
similar recipes to the above, if they could
forward it on to me.

I might add that in addition to not wanting
to waste the lemon meat mush, I took the
'waste not want not' adage a little further .
. . to the vast amusement of the household.

Not wanting to waste the copious quantites of
leon peel, I candied it.  Basically, you soak
it overnight in water, throw the water away
and add new water.  Boil the water and lemon
peel and discard water.  You boil lemon peel
in the water & discard the water about 4
times until the lemon peel is faintly
translucent.  Then you add equal amounts of
sugar to the drained peel and boil a further
time till candied.  I don't know if it is
period, but its nice to eat & the household
can munch on it.  If anyone can document it,
I would appreciate it??

Lastly, not wanting to waste the liquid from
the first boil with all those nice lemon oils
in I save that to add to my concentrated
detergent since lemon oils really clean
cooking oil.  The syrup from the lemon peel,
well it made nice lemon toffee . . .

I have vast respect for lemons . . . they are
VERY versatile!

Thanks in advance,
Lorix