SC - Parsley

pat fee lcatherinemc at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 10 10:02:19 PDT 1999

'Lainie sez:
>	WoW! I hadn't heard! Congratulations! What an accomplishment! I'm
>thrilled! (score one for the good guys!)

thanks :)

>	And as far as I'm concerned- feeding people is service, yes. But
>feeding people _well_, with care and skill, is an art. And doing so from
>a corpus of material that is foreign to the general public is a high
>art.

But does that mean that if I do a really good meal of baked potatoes, corn
on the cob and bbq chicken, that doesnt poison anyone, decorated with red
white and blue bunting that's an art?

My point is that service is that which serves. Feeding people is a service.
Feeding people well is the same service. What cookbook you take your
recipes from enables you to serve well. NOw perhaps I can see the logic
that to generate a new body of modern knowledge is more Laurel stuff, and
teaching (I teach a lot of cooking classes, along with teaching
autocratting, metalwork, doing demos on shoemaking, etc), since there's
nothing in the Pelican description about that, but there is in the Laurel
(at least in thiskingdom).

I always felt that Art is selfish. If you do someting that only impacts on
yourself or maybe a couple other people, that is not service. If, howerver,
it impacts on a whole population, like cooking a feast, or teaching others
how to cook a feast, that is service indeed.

Apparently, I was mistaken, as was shaken into my head, along with
accompanying "what are you, on drugs??!!! of course its an art??!!!!!".
remember I'm very new at this Laurel thing...I'm assuming that after a bit
I'll figure out the distinction...

- --Anne-Marie
PS, apparently I'm now the only Laurel for "skill with cocaine" in the
Known world. The king misheard the herald. Much giggling ensued on all
parts. I understand Curia will be setting up a cartel in the Cayman Islands
next...