SC - Orange Omelette - Question re. serving

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 13 04:08:06 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Sunday, September 12, 1999 22:10
Subject: Re: SC - Russian embassy meal

>Jenn/Yana wrote:
>>
>> >No time to let it get bubbly, and I can't find any of the concentrate
around
>> >here that would be ready in time.
>
>Um, what concentrate would that be? I've seen kvass made from malt and
>cane sugar, bread and cane sugar, honey, but concentration was never
>really part of things, especially after drinking kvass...would you mind
>perhaps sharing a recipe and explaining about the concentrates involved?

It's a concentrate avaliable commercially in stores that cater to the
Russian emigree community.  It's made in Russia, therefore the can is
labelled such. Translated to  western script it's basically:

Kontsyentrat kvasnogo soosla

Directions for reconstituting: for 1 qt, dilute 2 tablespoons of concentrate
into 1 qt warm water (100-110 F) add 1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 of a yeast  cake,
and cover top with cheesecloth. keep in warm place (90-95 F) for 18-20
hours. Is ready when it becomes transparent and tickles the tongue. Cover
tightly, cool, and keep refridgerated.

For Adamanitus and other Yankees:
Is probably avaliable in NY at Fish Town on Brighton Beach Ave, and at Gold
Star Smoked Fish on Smith Street as both these shops cater  to the emigree
community. Also Shop and Save in Trenton NJ.

Anya