SC - oop-the sin of gluttany, pennance due!

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Sep 13 04:20:13 PDT 1999

Chris and Trish Makowski wrote:

> It's a concentrate avaliable commercially in stores that cater to the
> Russian emigree community.  It's made in Russia, therefore the can is
> labelled such. Translated to  western script it's basically:
>
> Kontsyentrat kvasnogo soosla
>
> Directions for reconstituting: for 1 qt, dilute 2 tablespoons of concentrate
> into 1 qt warm water (100-110 F) add 1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 of a yeast  cake,
> and cover top with cheesecloth. keep in warm place (90-95 F) for 18-20
> hours. Is ready when it becomes transparent and tickles the tongue. Cover
> tightly, cool, and keep refridgerated.
>
> For Adamanitus and other Yankees:
> Is probably avaliable in NY at Fish Town on Brighton Beach Ave, and at Gold
> Star Smoked Fish on Smith Street as both these shops cater  to the emigree
> community. Also Shop and Save in Trenton NJ.
>
> Anya

All right. I guess! I think what I meant to ask was more like, "what is
this concentrate, what is in it, and what's the advantage of using it
over other methods of making kvass?"

How can I explain the irony I see here? Hmmm. (No, I'm not criticizing
anybody's brewing choices, but it just seems a little strange, is all.)
If you're going to make your own beer, for example, especially as a
project for learning about and recapturing the past, using hopped malt
extract isn't the best educational tool and isn't all that much less
work, either.

I dunno, maybe it's the attraction of being able to make such small
quantities easily, with minimal cleanup. It just seems a bit like Minute
Blankmanger to me.

Oddly enough, I was in southern Brooklyn yesterday. If I'd known I might
have been able to check this stuff out.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy