OT - Church Harlotry - was Re: SC - Orange Omelette - original recipe

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Sep 19 06:00:43 PDT 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Have other folks seen mention of two types of galingale? Which one
> is the one sold today as galingale? both? Any idea what the differances
> are?

Greater galingale has a larger cross-section (i.e. bigger slices) and a
whitish flesh similar to ginger, while lesser galingale is smaller and
with a reddish-orangey flesh. It would be hard to discuss flavor
differences in writing... . Greater galingale is also listed in The Von
Welanetz Guide to Ethnic ingredients with a bazillion alternative names
I won't go into here, except to say that many of the alternative names
are in European languages, while the alternative names for lesser
galingale (at least the ones they list) seem to be strictly Asian
languages. This leads me to suspect the galingale known in period Europe
may well have been Greater Galingale. On the other hand, what every herb
and spice store I've seen sells as galingale is kentjur or Lesser
Galingale (the little red guys), I could be wrong about this. I haven't
discussed this in detail with the people at Aphrodisia. It may be that
both found their way into medieval Europe.

> All the spices in this list were apparently imported through Cyprus.
>
> He also mentions Cypriot "monk's pepper" the seed of agnia or chaste
> tree (Vitex agnus castus). "The pepper was added to monastic dishes to
> suppress venery or sexual desire."
>
> Anyone have any more on this or similar spices? I've got a little bit
> on period aphrodisiacs. This is the first time I think I've heard of
> a period spice being used to achieve the opposite effect.

Ummm, I understand saltpeter is/was famous for being added to prison
food, especially baked goods and meat dishes, for precisely that effect.
Basically it messes up your blood pressure, rendering um, hydrostatic
pressure regulation, um, impossible. Impotence in a can. It probably
also caused some fatal strokes, though, with excessive repeated use.
Salt would do the same, but the amount required would be unpalatable
unless you used very frequent small doses (which many people do in their
ordinary diets anyway...)

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy