SC - Anya's Russian Embassy

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Mon Sep 27 13:17:30 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Alderton, Philippa <phlip at morganco.net>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Saturday, September 25, 1999 08:14
Subject: Re: SC - Icelandic Penis Museum.

>Phlip, off to check out the Mongol guard at Anya's Embassy......

To my friends on the SCA-Cooks and Slavic Interest Group lists:

On the topic of my Russian Embassy at Elfsea Defender, I WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mongol says that he will guard again, as never has he or his wife been
paid so richly in food for doing so little.

The menu was thinned a bit (I couldn't fit it all on m,y tables lol) to the
rice and egg pierozhkis, the goose (which ended up steamed, not baked and
wasn't stuffed, though I did make the saurerkraut stuffing that was
suggested in my cook book as an alternative to the kasha and serverd it as a
goosie garnish), the shichi, 8 loaves of homemade bread (a Finnish one
called Nisu made with cardamon, and a Swiss butter braid topped with poppy
seeds), assorted garnishes(sour cream and red wine vinegar for  the
pierozhkis, preserves for the breads, drippings to accompany the goose,
butter, pickles) and a very very dense Russian honey spice loaf.  I also
served strong teas, and my
(soon-to-marry-me-for-a-secind-time-sneaky-birthday-present-hiding) Lord
served his ginger, lemon, and spice vodkas to great acclaim.

I won best cultural display,  one of my best friends Genevieve won the
cooking for her rabbit (was told it was very yummy). We both got these HUGE
baskets of largess (I got my very own period mug in mine :-) ),  and were
called into eveing court and bragged about. (This was my first trip EVER
into court, I felt like throwing up, crying, and wetting my pants all at the
same time, specially seeing as I stood getting this acclaim in front of
their Majasties.)
All went very well, and thank you all for the support you gave me as I
prepared for this. I really appreciate all my friends on both these lists.

My only regret is that the camers broke :( and I don't have pictures of the
display. But I have been asked to find a feast to feast steward with a
period Russian menu at, as well as to provide a large tray of perozhkis to
the new Crowns at Coronation.

Many thanks to all of you!! I couldn't have done it alone.

Anya the very overwhelmed

Anastasiia Iliiovna Kiianina
Youth Rapier Marshal
Barony of the Steppes