SC - Anya's Russian Embassy

jdmiller2@students.wisc.edu jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 28 07:34:11 PDT 1999

Frederich skrev:

>Greetings Good Flip

>Please let me know what my share of the handouts was for last year.  I had
believed that the money we gave covered both.  Also, for future reference, I
could help print some of the stuff out.  Probably most of us would be
willing
to help print out some of the hand out information if you would emailed it
us. <

OK, the problem was not the printing out, it was the expense of the copying.
The donations I got covered the lamb- since some of the people who signed up
didn't show up, money was a bit short- it's over and done with, don't worry
about it, it's covered. What I really needed covered were the anatomical
diagrams- there's more stuff I wanted to hand out, but couldn't afford to.

>The concerns I have about each of us butchering our own animals are as
follows.  The first is never actually having put down anything myself.  It
is
different watching someone else do it.  The second is whether you feel that
you could watch us all thoroughly enough to make sure we were doing in a
safe
and sanitary method. <

OK, as I said before, I'm going to do the killing- I want it done right, and
while I would be willing to teach one-on-one, as I did with Ras, I'm not
really into teaching a group of people how to slaughter efficiently. I was
reluctant to do a pig last year because they're very hard to kill- Anna says
she's willing to handle that part of it. I'm damned if we need a squealer.
The most efficient methods of killing a pig are either to knock him in the
head and cut his throat (stick him) or to shoot him in the head. Forgive me
folks, but knocking something in the head is not something I can do, and
shooting one is not really what we want to do- we'll need his brains, for
one thing.

What I was thinking, if we go with the combination, is that I'll slaughter
the rabbits, so everyone has one, then each can clean their own, then we'd
all work together on the pig.

As far as sanitary concerns go, those of you who were there know how careful
I was about that, including providing anti-bacterial soap for everyone to
wash their hands with, and a drop cloth to keep the meat off the ground.
Also, Anna's husband was good about digging us a hole for the offal (not
that there was much of that) and disposed of the dirty drop cloths.

Any more concerns, folks?

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio