SC - german/prussian recipe, help needed

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 15:53:45 PDT 1999

Hoop cheese is a form of dry cottage cheese.  I have
no idea why it is called that.  I am at work with no
access to my Larrouse Gastronomique.  I buy hoop
cheese
from a delicatessen or a really good supermarket
cheese section.  My mother also calls it "farmers
cottage cheese", but she originally was from Buffalo,
NY, so that might be a regional name.  I have never
seen that name used here in California.  I have also
never seen "pot cheese" here in California, but I
suspect that it also is a form of cottage cheese?  But
then us Californians probably would think that "pot
cheese" was hallucinagenic. :-)

We use hoop cheese in my family's recipe because it is
so dry.  Mom has used regular cottage cheese and also
ricotta, but they both are too wet and tend to run out
of the crust and burn on the griddle.  Mom says that
her mother always used hoop or farmer's cheese.

The reason I asked the question about "cheese of
freshly curdled milk" was that I remembered that some
time ago I had read or heard somewhere that cottage
cheese was not period and this entry seemed to
contradict that.  I was hoping someone would tell me
if cottage cheese was period, and, if so, in what
form.

Huette