SC - icelandic sour Dough?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Sep 3 00:43:09 PDT 1999

Tollhase1 at aol.com wrote:

>> "But note that if you are telling the people "this dough was not
intended to
>> be eaten," you are making a historical statement, and one that may
well be
>> false."
>
> Possibly I would.  I believe in my research and from what I believe I have
> heard on the net, some coffin lids or dough are not intended to be eaten.  I
> would be as correct either way as the recipe does not state.  Perhaps a
> better way would be to say it may not have been eaten.

FWIW, and with respect, I think this is a pretty monumental non-issue.
Today there are people who won't eat the edge of the pizza crust, or the
crimped section of the pie crust that loves to burn, especially when
made from chemical/commercial pastry. In period we have examples of
people who ate their trenchers or the pie crust, earning slightly raised
eyebrows, and of those who gave these foods to the poor. What I think we
really know is that in late period England many meat pies were filled
with meat and butter, often clarified, and were specifically designed
for air exclusion and long keeping. They appear to have been "carved"
not into wedges. but around the seal where the top meets the sides. Some
"pies" had no pastry at all, but were simply potted meats. What we
really have to go on (unless someone like John Russell has left us
instructions regarding the carving or eating of pies -- has he?) is that
at some time[s] in the history of pies, the crust was generally not
eaten. It may simply have meant eating the crust if you felt like it,
and if the contents were first used up and no longer needed protection.

The fact that there are some things that people today won't eat really
doesn't prove that these things weren't eaten by our period forebears.
Flour-and-water dough is one of them. Note that I'm not saying such
dough was regularly eaten. But if it was, so what?

> >  Like Really, OK, from that person I will
> >usually get NAZI periodness, and that person is like really very practical
> >and would serve franks and beans
>
> "In most circles I am familiar with, describing
> someone as a Nazi is regarded as a put down."
>
> You cannot imagine how much I Now regret the choice of the Word  Nazi in this
> context.  The contrast you are perceiving is NOT what I was intending in my
> original post.  But rather that people have differing viewpoints and that we
> should accept where someone is coming from and be willing to accept
> information and criticism from them.  Thus learn from everybody.  Especially
> if you had earlier considered them to be unbending apparently single-minded
> rude whatever or overly practical.  Would it not be a better world if we
> could learn to learn from people we originally thought of as NAZI, That is
> what I meant.  Thus the insult or viewpoint one perceived the individual
> becomes replaced with, here is that person whom knows more that I do.  Lets
> Glean information from them.

I think this is an excellent example of why that particular word seems
to be generally accepted as forbidden in the Internet subculture. I know
on the EK mailing list you only have to use the word to end a thread.
It's pretty hard not to consider the appellation a put-down, when you
consider that most of the good things that could conceivably be said
about such people (for example, that Mussolini made the trains run on
time) are not in fact true. I know people who lived in Italy under
Fascism, and they always laugh heartily at this suggestion.

I think perhaps the term that applies best for SCA use is "period
control freak".

> I still would like the documentation on the franks eating people in period.

Dog bites man, huh? I thought you wanted the reverse: evidence of people
eating the Franks. In any case, I seem to recall seeing on this list
accounts of early Crusaders (who may well have been termed "Franks", not
only by their enemies in al-Islam, but even by themselves) eating
non-Christians when under siege. Does anybody have that information on
hand? As I recall that was posted by Lord Ragnar, the gentleman from Lochac.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com