SC - St. Florians Royal visit feast (assistant cook's report)

April Abbott orlando at rogues.net
Mon Sep 6 00:29:50 PDT 1999

>> A question to the list though. I know that the 'official' books are
>> available
>> to all but I am wondering why so few people in the SCA (or on this for
>> that
>> matter) do not use redacted recipes by other SCA cooks when preparing
>> their
>> feasts? It just seems strange to me considering that most published works
>> are
>>  little more 'authentic' than the work done outside the field and most are
>>
>> not as tasty as those that the people on this list have shared. Yet I see
>> little use of them

Hmmm..... my cooking is generally more to eat while camping rather than for
feasts.  The first book I started with was by an SCA cook - Siobhan Medhbh
O'Roarke's Traveling Dysshes.  As I've added to my cookbook collection, I've
found that even when they do have redactions/reconstructions/whatever you
want to call 'em I tend to look more at the original recipe, or the
translation if it's in a language I don't speak.  Period recipes seem to be
written closer to the way I think when I'm cooking.  I'll usually at least
glance at the reconstruction if it's there, because it might have some
interesting thoughts in it.  But I don't usually follow it very closely.
Which is not to say I might not end up cooking it the same way.  I just
don't tend to really measure things much, so looking at modern recipes is
always a bit weird for me.  My mother was kind of surprised when she came to
visit me in my new apartment, and wanted to use the kitchen, and found out I
didn't own any measuring cups or spoons or a timer.

- -Sofonisba