SC - Medlars and Sorb Apples

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Mon Sep 6 15:01:07 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/6/1999 2:00:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, LrdRas at aol.com
writes:

> : a small Eurasian tree (Mespilus germanica) of the rose family whose fruit
>  resembles a crab apple and is used in preserves; also : its fruit

If I remember correctly, medlars also were like persimmons in that they
almost had to be completely rotten to be eaten correctly. By this I mean they
needed to be soft almost to liquidity. If my experience with persimmons is
any guide, when they're firm they're acid enough to be inedible.

So we're not likely to find them in our supermarkets. Bummer.

Corwyn