SC - Ham

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 23 19:23:57 PDT 1999

Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote, in response to my shameless nitpicking:

> <<
>  Now, about this processed pig meat. Is it cured or fresh? Or, by dint of
>  its being processed in some manner other than a traditional dry-rubbed
>  salt cure and optional smoking, is it somehow no longer ham?
>   >>

> It is not necessarily ham to start with, just little bits of lean and fat
> pork from any part of the pig, cooked with salt and spices and preservatives,
> and pressed into a loaf.

Okay, I'll go with that. As I say, you can usually avoid that by careful
shopping, and the Federal government has some [admittedly not very
stringent] rules about that under the heading of Statements of Identity.
I'm not sure it's legal to sell cured pork as ham unless it actually is
ham, which I think is why Hormel says Spam is made from both pork and
ham, and not just from ham.\

The point I was trying to make is that not everyone assumes that the
term "ham", without the specific qualifier of "salt-cured", or "smoked",
or whatever, just "ham", means fresh uncured pork buttock and leg. Most
people, I believe, assume it to be cured, naturally or artificially,
unless stated otherwise. But then, as I stated earlier, most people
haven't grown up on farms. Me, I'm perfectly happy for there to be two
or more acceptable dictionary definitions.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com