SC - Devonshire cream or clotted cream

Helen helen at directlink.net
Fri Sep 10 23:51:09 PDT 1999

clotted cream

                                  This specialty of Devonshire, England (which
is why
                                    it's also known as Devonshire  or Devon
cream ) is
                                    made by gently heating rich, unpasteurized
milk until a
                                    semisolid layer of cream forms on the
surface. After
                                    cooling, the thickened cream is removed.
Clotted
                                    cream can be spread on bread or spooned atop
fresh
                                    fruit or desserts. The traditional English
"cream tea"
                                    consists of clotted cream and jam served
with SCONES
                                    and tea. Clotted cream can be refrigerated,
tightly
                                    covered, for up to 4 days.

    I have been baking scones and so that is why I wanted it. For scones and
fruit.  That is all I know.  I made some crème fraîche the other day from heavy
cream and buttermilk for a cake icing (with candied lemon peels and powder
sugar) that turned out really good on blueberries too.   I was scared leaving
cream out over night in the summer, but it was fine and did just what it was
supposed to.  I have seen crème fraîche added to a meat dish like you would sour
cream.

http://food.epicurious.com/s97is.vts?action=filtersearch&filter=recipe-filter.hts&collection=Recipes&ResultTemplate=recipe-results.hts&keyword=creme+fraiche

Hope this helps,
Helen