SC - Re: Jucie of sour oranges

Aelfwyn@aol.com Aelfwyn at aol.com
Sun Apr 2 19:33:52 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Ras replied to me:
> > stefan at texas.net writes:
> > << Would "green, black or varicolored olives" necessarily indicate fresh or
> >  cured olives? >>
> >
> > I would assume cured olives are meant by this recipe which appears to
> > indicate a sort of relish.
>
> Ok, why would you assume cured olives?

Hmmm. Okay, how about this? The olives are placed in vinegar and oil,
with oil coating the top to keep air out and help preserve the whole
thing. However, the recipe says this relish is ready to use immediately.
Had raw, uncured olives been used, it wouldn't be, even if vinegar, or
oil, or both could be used to draw the unpleasant-tasting chemicals from
the olives.

> Are all raw olives the same general color? Does this "green, black or
> varicolored olives" thus indicate processed olives?

No, olives are like most other fruits, they change color and ripen on
the plant. Green olives are unripe, and can be picked and cured, and so
can ripe ones of various colors. Usually some dark shade, purple or
black, but sometimes brown.

Dalby's translation of Cato's recipe for epityrum speaks of green,
black, or mixed olives, while the Latin suggests to me "white, black, or
mixed". Given that I really think this recipe calls for cured olives, it
would mean pretty much any olives as long as they're cured. However,
this can be confusing since at least one of Cato's recipes for curing
green olives is nearly identical to the epityrum recipe. Actually, from
what I've seen, most of the curing processes he discusses involve
vinegar, oil, and herbs, except for windfall olives which were
apparently salted.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy