SC - Is Arrowroot Period?

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Mon Apr 3 06:12:07 PDT 2000

owner-sca-CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< I am taking a big risk by saying this, but saffron, IMHO, does not really
 impart that much flavor to begin with (perhaps a little "dusty curtain"
 taste), and it is very over priced.  >>

Maybe. But I think you might have not had good saffron or maybe not enough or
maybe too much. I have found that the use of saffron should be done with
respect for the characteristics of the spice. I have found it to have a
buttery flavour, very round and fat. Maybe that's my tastebud's reaction to
the chemicals in the spice?

<<We tend to "worship"  spices these days, simply because of
their cost or rarity, and without, in some cases, any regard to their quality
or benefit.  >>

Boy that could have  been written in the 14th C! :)

<>

No one is going to be enraged, this is an opinion not a personal affront. We
all have some food/spice/texture that we just don't like. I'd like to
encourage you to try saffron in one of my recipes though. Maybe I'll bring
Daryoles (custard tarts) to Pennsic cooks night and you can try them. Just
keep and open mind.

Hauviette

Hauviette