SC - Sugar - the definitive word (?)

Decker, Margaret margaret at Health.State.OK.US
Mon Apr 3 11:42:24 PDT 2000

>CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:
> >
> > I am taking a big risk by saying this, but saffron, IMHO, does not
>really
> > impart that much flavor to begin with (perhaps a little "dusty curtain"
> > taste), and it is very over priced.
>
>I guess all I can say on the question of saffron's contribution to
>certain dishes is that it is a subtle addition it would be a shame to
>miss or forego, but its very subtlety, not to mention a fairly short
>shelf life unless properly stored, make it easy to see it as no big deal.
>
>Adamantius

I could be that the saffron cblackwill has tasted has been stored too long.
It may have been old at the store, or saved for something special too long
by whoever bought it.  I've never thought of it as having a dusty or musty
taste.  True, the flavor is mild, but it isn't  something I would just as
soon skip and use food coloring.  (annato and turmeric add way too much of
their own flavor so I don't sub them for saffron.)

Bonne