SC - Anzac Biscuits/Day?

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Apr 3 11:46:29 PDT 2000

Since Balthazar was being sarcastic about Bakersfield's beets, I would point
out that the area around Bakersfield looks like West Texas which is known
for its feedlots.  As sugar beets make good animal fodder, perhaps
Bakersfield could become the nation's leader in pre-sweetened beef for
commercial hamburgers.

On a more historical note, the process to make beet sugar was introduced in
1793 by Franz Carl Achard.  The process was improved over the next century
and the first commercial processing plant opened in Silesia in 1802.  It
failed, but the idea of domestic sugar production in Europe was spurred by
the deprivations of the Napoleonic Wars.  By mid-century, beet sugar was
being produced commercial across Europe and was being introduced into the
US.  The commercially successful sugar beets are all hybrids developed in
the 19th Century from the Silesian sugar beets.

Bear