SC - Is Arrowroot Period?

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 01:30:12 PDT 2000

Adamantius wrote:

>True. On the other hand, what most people think of today in connection
>with the term, a lighter, fresher style of seasoning and flavoring, a
>simple but elegant presentation where you can see the food, food not
>crowded onto plates like they do in diners, nothing but edible
>garnishes, this is the same phenomenon Americans used to make fun of in
>the 80's (and rightly so), talking about huge plates with tiny bits of
>food on them, usually accompanied with a quarter-spoonful of raspberry
>coulis.

Don´t I know it - in those years I worked on, among other things, a nouvelle
cuisine salmon and trout cookbook written by a young chef - mostly dots of
pale pink, pale green and cream on huge white plates. The photographer was
quite desperate, IIRC.

I´ve been working with the same chef more recently and he has managed to
channel his nouvelle cuisine leanings into much more interesting things,
like Icelandic game and wild herb dishes.

Nanna