SC - 12th C Irish Feast- Notes and recipes

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Tue Apr 4 11:02:50 PDT 2000

Linda Giddings wrote:

> Could this be what we call scrapple?
>
> .  What the %^$#@* is 'sulte'?  A
> > >glossary says it is a fatty cut of meat from the throat of a pig.  Do we
> > >have a word for this in English??

Well, probably not scrapple per se, since it calls for corn[maize]meal,
but it occurs to me that there may be a relationship between "sulte",
"sylte", and the German "suelze", which is another brawn variant, as I
recall, similar to head cheese, and still eaten today in various parts
of America under the name "souse" or "souse meat".

Okay, Ras, time to have our semi-annual discussion on head cheese and
souse, huh? ;  )

BTW, have we learned the context for use of the word "sulte"? Are we
sure it is a noun, and does the throat meat from a pig not fit?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com