SC - WAS Re: saffron/NOW: Authenticity?

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Tue Apr 4 11:31:22 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/4/00 1:14:17 PM, JGedney at dictaphone.com writes:

>Come on now, which of you joined the SCA because it had an "atmosphere"
> that evoked the romance of the Middle ages?  I did.

The problem here is that we all see the SCA from different angles.

I joined back in the 70's(OMG) as a partygirl: I threw on a t-tunic and
partied till the sun came out and did it again with a minimum of sleep the
next day. (It was the 70's...need I say more?)

Now, in the OO's....I am striving for authenticity. I belong to a group that
is also striving for authenticity, so we help each other out. (Being older
and wiser helps this out)

However, as a Seneschal, I must deal with and interact with all types:
partyer, authenticist, fantasy Xena wannabe, Tolkien fan, etc.

Do I force my desires on them? No, I let them play their game and I play
mine. But, when they come to a feast prepared by me, they know that they are
getting as close to period foodstuffs as I can get. They know that  the
clothes I wear have been researched to my time period. They  know that my
living arrangements at camping events are my approximation of how my persona
would live.

They also know that I would be willing to share everything and anything I
know to help them out in their search for authenticity.

But until then: I'll have a coke and a smile with them in their encampment as
long as they are willing to partake of mead and methelgin at my encampment.

Tolerance and example brings out the qualities we want...like flies to honey.

Andrea
Ostgardr