SC - How do you know a dish was well liked or hated?

grizly@mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 4 14:17:38 PDT 2000

> Do you ever check to see what food is returned un-eaten to the kitchen?

	Yes.
Do  you make any correlations?
	Yes, especially in regards to timing of later courses and foods in those
courses.
Do you peek into trash cans?
	Absolutely.  I got the nicest little picture out of that dumpster.. oh,
wait, you mean after a feast?  Yes. I try to be present when food is
coming back to sort through the things that will make good breakfast
items or send-home bags.  That way, what goes into the garbage will be
minimal.

Do you ask...and  hope to get a honest response?
	Yes, but I ask specific people I know will give me an honest and well
considered reply.  "That was really a great feast" is nice to hear, but
doesn't offer much in the way of specific feedback.

 Just wondering what follow-up do  you do?

	Generally, ask around as soon after an event as possible.  Food is a
transitory art form, and won't be remembered for very long.  (Overall
impressions of the feast, the decorations, the entertainment, etc. will
be remembered, but not most of the individual dishes at the feast.)

 Rayne