SC - How do you know a dish was well liked or hated?

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 14:24:25 PDT 2000

When I have cooked/prepared the recipes for a given feast, I try to get out a get among the people eating it.  Some will knoiw who I am and some will not.  That gives the opportunity to do two things: 1.  ask people I know will be honest about their personal tastes as well as their perceived quality of the dishes, and 2.  Ask complete strangers how they enjoyed various things.  I have been given quite frank feedback that has benefitted me and my choices as a cook.  Often I get the obligatory accolades, but the ones who give mne considered opinions are invaluable!  It is hit and miss to figure out what is what...I look for trends and threads of information form the feedback to get a general picture.  ALWAYS pick a picky eater, a person with health restrictions (the more the better!) and a person reputed as a nay-sayer or negativist.  They offer a good baseline for various evaluations to compare to my own impressions of the food I have tasted before sending out to the diners.

niccolo difrancesco

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> Exactly the kind of "musings" I was looking for. -)
This question came to mind because at a feast I heard many people mumbling -
"gosh, this dish is awful".  And I thought to myself... "you know, you are
right.  Now who is going to tell the cook that?"  Surely he/she tasted it.
And was the consensus of my table, and the tables around me, the feelings of
most of the diners or just the palates closest to me?

Rayne