SC - artificial

Marian Deborah Rosenberg Marian.Deborah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu
Tue Apr 4 15:07:18 PDT 2000

Lady,
I'm so sorry that you feel "slammed", etc.  I'm sure that few, if any, on this list
meant anything that way.  I think what I've seen on the list in the short time I've
participated, is a group of people whose views range from the super-recreationist
who wants to do everything as close to period as possible, to folks like you who
are just getting started.  To be honest, I fall somewhere in between, even though
I've been doing this for a number of years.

I can certainly sympathize with your frustration over a lack of books...and the
prohibitive cost of purchasing them.  It's only been in the last few years that
I've noticed that a lot of them have become available...and that I've been able to
afford them.  Up until that time, I've had to "make do" with reading everything I
could get my hands on (like "TI" and the Compleat Anachronist...not to mention cook
books published within the SCA...like In Service to Our Middles and How to Cook
Forsoothly..most of which would be "poo-pooed" by some of the super
recreationists), work as often as possible in the kitchens of those who seemed to
know how to do what they do so well and take any classes that might be available.
I also tried taking things that I knew to be period and coming up with dishes that
I thought might have existed in period...things that were somewhat ubiquitous, like
stews, etc. (Don't tell anyone--I still do that, if I need to!).  As time has gone
on, I've been fortunate to gradually increase the size and breadth of my library,
and have, through talking with people (like the ones on this list) improved my
knowledge.  One great example is how to get the flavor of the Seville Oranges that
existed in period...I didn't know how to do that when I started on this list, but
now I do!

I think what you have to do is what I quickly found out when I joined the SCA...you
have to learn that some of us don't quite know how to express ourselves and our
views in a diplomatic fashion...one designed not to hurt the feelings of those
around us.  You have to deal with this in one of 2 ways:  either challenge the
offending statements and let the person know that they have offended you or simply
consider the source!

I sincerely hope you won't cut yourself off from this method of learning because
you've been offended...you'll be removing yourself from a great source of knowledge
and information.  I also hope that nothing I have said along the way has offended
you...

Kiri