SC - list tones

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 16:37:30 PDT 2000

Heather-Enaya Parr-Blake wrote:

> I am new to the field of cooking and feast in the SCA.
> I belong to a newly founded (well nearly founded) shire
> in Northern Kentucky. I am looking for a source for
> recipes and gear.

Sources for recipes:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html
(lots of good links to period recipes)

Books: Primary Sources:
Platina _On Right Pleasure & Good Health_   trans. Milham
Gervase Markham  _Country Contentments_
        also seen as _The English Housewife_
_Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery_ ed. Karen Hess

Books: Compilations:
_Traveling Dysshes_ by Siobhan Medhbh O'Roarke
SCA publication I picked up at Pennsic several years back.  It's not for the
likes of Ras, but it has an acceptable list of period vs not period foods, an
acceptable list of no-cook foods to suggest for potlucks, suggestions for camp
cooking, a good list of substitutions for harder to find ingredients, a lovely
bibliography, and suggestions for mail-order sources for spices.  The list of
recipes is decent, with plenty of simple but pretty recipes (like hedgehogs),
and each one has both the source recipe and a redaction.  The redactions aren't
perfect, but usually the things I object to would make it easier for a beginning
cook to make the recipe/find the ingredients.

I'm sure others can come up with many, many more books.  These are my favorites.

YIS,
- -Magdalena