SC - Anzac Biscuits/Day?

Phil Anderson phil at spis.co.nz
Tue Apr 4 21:36:34 PDT 2000

Around here there's a little prefeast taste testing and some subtle questioning
of the feast partakers afterward.

In Oertha, we don't always have a kitchen to work in, but when we do all the
standard cautionary advice is in effect. Know your kitchen!

On the occasion of a Coronet event, when the feast was being prepared on
location in a campground without much except a permanent outhouse and one cold
water spigot and all the equipment got trucked nine miles in and a couple
thousand feet up, the two head cooks (myself included) started our food prep and
taste testing process four months in advance of the event. I'm not sure how many
different people got to try the various incarnations of the beef in wine sauce
but once out on the table, none came back.

The last feast was held in a recreation center/chalet which had great ambience
but zero kitchen facilities. The loft was turned into the kitchen and served its
purpose well. Taste testing for that (feast was in January) started in October.
All sorts of people participated in that including non SCA members and notably
picky eaters.

As an aside, at the feast in January, we had the most food come back from the
first course. I found that odd until I was told that our baron had warned the
diners that more and lots of it was to follow. Looks like folks didn't want to
stuff themselves right away. Just goes to show that no matter what you plan for,
there can always be something you didn't expect.

Cedrin
Princess of Oertha and longing to be out there cooking (they won't let me!)