SC - How do I get started?

Diana Haven dhaven at rickardlist.com
Wed Apr 5 13:18:38 PDT 2000

Cider is certainly period and easy to make, and (unlike, say, beer or wine)
the "period style" was probably not greatly different than modern
style.  You press the juice and ferment it.  No boiling, sterilization,
etc.  If you have a wild yeast culture (for example, on your pressing
equipment), you don't even have to pitch yeast, but that's unlikely to be
true for you; an ale yeast should work fine.

As far as apple varieties go, this has been discussed before on this list
and is therefore somewhere in the Florilegium.  Very few cultivars can be
reliably dated even to the 16th century, much less to the Middle Ages, and
of those only Lady (possibly 16th c.) is grown commercially in small
quantities.  Furthermore, there is little or no evidence that any varieties
were cultivated specifically for cider production in the MA.  Therefore, it
will be next to impossible to re-create a period cider from period apples,
without growing your own.

Grannies will certainly make a tart cider - in fact, the acid will be so
high that it will probably take months to mellow to a good drinkable
product (you will be hoping for a malo-lactic fermentation in the
bottle).  Mix in some Winesaps or Northern Spies, if you can get them, to
add character.

There are several books available on cidermaking - let me know if you're
interested in a bibliography.  There is also a Cider Digest list with lots
of great discussions.  Two good Web pages are:
http://sun1.bham.ac.uk/GraftonG/cider/homepage.htm  - the Real Cider and
Perry page
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/andrew_lea/Content2.HTM  - great
page by an English cider maker.

Bottom line, though, is that there is precious little information out there
on pre-17th century apple cultivation (although there is a certain amount
of MIS-information).  If you live in an area where "wild" apple trees grow,
or where crabapples are still grown, try making cider from them - it will
be closer than anything else you can get to what was generally available in
Northern Europe through the 13th century.

Good luck,
Colin