SC - Re: Goodbye (RANT)

Christi Rigby christirigby at pcisys.net
Wed Apr 5 13:36:28 PDT 2000

>> On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Heather-Enaya Parr-Blake wrote:
>>
>> > I am new to the field of cooking and feast in the SCA.
>> > I belong to a newly founded (well nearly founded) shire
>> > in Northern Kentucky. I am looking for a source for
>> > recipes and gear. Particularly in the gear department,
>> > I am looking for pots and pans heavy enough to come through
>> > campfire/hearth cooking.
>>
> Everyone else has said a lot about pots & pans etc. I would
>recommend also that you invest in a 100% wool skirt or dress and a 100%
>linen chemise, apron , and head wrap. Linen is slower to catch fire than
>cotton and wool is even slower (usually only smolders). Linen also makes
>wonderful dish towels. And please keep an ABC fire extinguisher near at
hand
>as well as a first aide kit. We hate loosing new members, especially to
>accidents. Margarite

Hmmm...this is the best suggestion I have seen listed - especially if you
will be doing campfire cooking.  I was told to wear wool skirts around the
campfire - they don't burn easily!  I think it is 850 degrees before they
will even start to get a bit smoky on their own.  I can't remember exactly
how hot it has to be before they will burn.  The other thing is that they
will put themselves out - or at the worst smolder until you can run it over
some wet grass.

OTOH, I thought linen burnt rather easily?  when I do burn tests on fabric
(yep, I sew) linen burns fast and hot - like paper, cotton burns slower but
just as hot, silk burns and smells like burnt chicken feathers (try growing
up with a hasidic or orthodox jewish grandmother who burnt off her chicken's
pin feathers every sabbath) and wool is a bear to even get it to catch fire
directly in the heart of the match!

Diana d'Avignon