SC - Re: Online Cookbooks (was Re: Period Dining....)

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 5 20:59:33 PDT 2000

...to adapt this period recipe to a workable modern one! <sorry,
couldn't resist.>

Um, hullo, the list!

Since we've been nattering on about substitutions for so long, I thought
this would be a nice way to make a few points on the subject _and_ get
the list back to someplace it oughtta be at: discussing real, live (or
is it real, semi-extinct?) medieval food.

For those of you who are new to this, here's the deal. Ground rules are
simple. Somebody (in this case me) posts a period recipe from a period
source. You, the happy victims, if you feel so inclined, take  a look at
it, and have, what, three days or so, to post your modernized,
"redacted" recipe. Everybody wins the prize (you don't have me sing to
you!). No feelings are hurt. Nobody is mean to anybody else. We're here
to help each other. It's my deepest hope that some of the gentles new to
the list or new to this type of work will realize that this is a
comfortable atmosphere for trying a new task like this, and give it a
whirl, because it's a blast!

I'm going to post two different recipes for the same dish, from the same
source. If you feel it justifiable to mix and match, fine, but expect to
discuss your answers. Or, you can choose one or the other, or both. Old
timers on the list are allowed to help out, but it should restricted, at
first, to glossary definitions and such. There'll be plenty of time for
suggestions during the after-cook debriefing ;  ).

"45. For to make bukkenade. Nym god fresch flesch, wat maner so yt be, &
hew it in smale morselys, & seth yt wy(th) gode fresch buf; & cast
(th)ereto gode myncyd onyons & gode spicerye, & alyth wy(th) eyryn, &
boyle & dresse yt forth."

"53. For to make a bukkenade, tak veel & boyle it. Tak (y)olkys of eggys
& mak hem (th)ykke. Tak macis & powdre of gyngyuer & powdere of peper, &
boyle it togedere & messe yt forth."

		-- MS Douce 257 (D), English, ~1381C.E. Printed and edited by
Constance Hieatt and Sharon Butler, "Curye On Inglysch", © 1985 The
Early English Text Society, published by the Oxford University Press.

Any takers?

Adamantius (who remembers the first time we did this, with boiled perch,
almost four years ago?)
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com