SC - Period Dining Atmosphere (Was RE: Saffron)

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Apr 5 21:05:35 PDT 2000

Cariadoc's Miscellany links to translated sources is:
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Medieval.html

pieces of German cookery texts from 1350-1800 appear at:
http://www.uni-giessen.de/~g909/kobu.htm

Das Kuchbuch der Sabrina Welserin text is translated at:
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Cookbooks/Sabrina_Welserin.html

De Re Coquinaria is in original language at :
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/6946/literature/apicius.html

Du fait de cuisine is at:
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Cookbooks/Du_Fait_de_Cuisine/du_fait_de_c_contents.html

Le Ménagier De Paris in french is at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/menagier/

Le Ménagier De Paris in English (Janet Hison)is at:
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Cookbooks/Menagier/Menagier_Contents.html

Serve it Forth, a medieval/renaissance cookery newsletter is home page
at:
http://oldcolo.com/~memorman/sif_home.html

For a start in locating books, I recommend Acanthus Books who got me
started with several good sources:  www.acanthus-books.com

"The Medieval Kitchen" gives recipe translation, a little text about the
dish and their interpretation, then their recipe.  the primary text
recipes are located all together at the end of the book.  their recipes
can be a little questionable as are most, but it gives you a fighting
chance to figure it out!  All in all, a good secondary/tertiary source
for learning from.

Cariadoc publishes a 2 volume photocopied set of primary cookbooks in
original and translated versions (some of each) that is affordable for
nearly anyone.  It is about 17 texts for $17 US.  You can't beat that
with a dead horse!

I hope this gives you what you are looking for.

niccolo difrancesco