SC - Translation of Libro del arte de Cocina por Diego Granado,1599

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Apr 6 18:27:03 PDT 2000

Remember my most favorite cookbook "last week"  Oh, you remember "Onions,
Onions, Onions".... Well, I got a NEW favorite this week.  The Totally Garlic
Cookbook!

I was called a "Spoon Tease" last time I mentioned my new acquisition.
Didn't know what it meant :-)  BUT now I do.  So here is a few samples:

Confit of Garlic

5 garlic heads
1 tsp dried Rosemary
1 small dried red chile or 8 whole black peppercorns
1 1/2 cup olive oil

Separate garlic into cloves and peel.  Place in a small saucepan with
remaining ingredients.  Set over low heat for 1 hour.  Remove from heat and
cool. Transfer to a jar and cover tightly.  Store in refrigerator.  Add
cloves and some of the oil to pasta, rice, potatoes or other vegetables, or
spread on toasted baguette slices.  Use remaining oil for cooking or in salad
dressings or marinades.  Makes about 2 cups.

Garlic Brandy

20 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly crushed
1/2 cup sugar
1 (375-ml) bottle of brandy

In 1-pint jar, combine garlic, sugar and brandy.  Cover tightly and let stand
1 week. Strain into clean bottle and seal tightly.  Use for sipping or in
recipes such as meat sauces calling for brandy.

And I want to try Trout Stuffed with Garlic and Spinach.  I usually dislike
Spinach, but Trout is my MOST favorite fish so I'll give it a shot.

Rayne