SC - I CHALLENGE YOU...

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Apr 6 22:21:43 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 6 Apr 00,, that Jane Williams wrote:

> Looks like something I could learn a lot from trying (and maybe give the
> rest of you a laugh).

Many of us here have a lot to learn about various aspects of medieval
cooking -- or cooking in general.  I am not an instinctive cook, and I
have great respect for those who can just through something together,
with much measuring or consulting of recipes.

> I don't tend to use precise measurements when I'm doing any sort of
> cooking, modern, period, or whatever, so I'm not even going to try to
> provide any. If I get the basic process right, that'll be a start.

Even the expert cooks here have had recipes that had to be
experiemented with several times before they had a version they were
really content with.

> Ok. "Bukkenade". No doubt this word means something, in some
> ancient language. But not to me. Instruction would be welcome.

I had no idea, nor was the Oxford English Dictionary any help.
However, the glossary of _Curye on Englisch_ says that the prefix "buc"
or "buk" refers to veal, which is the meat most often specified for this
dish.

[redaction snipped, 'cause I don't want to look too closely at someone
else's until I've tried it myself]

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann