SC - Dishwashing - was, Looking for Guidance

DeeWolff@aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Mon Apr 10 08:27:20 PDT 2000

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> The Viceroy of the Crown Province of Østgar*r, in the East Kingdom, is
> also a Master of the Pelican. Not, exclusively, for dishwashing, but he
> does retain proteges with a little ceremony which has his other proteges
> attend with a bowl of sudsy water and a towel, with the admonition, "Let
> this be the first of _many_ batches of dishwater you'll put your hands
> into in my service."

>snip

Mmmm, there is/was a household that my Pelican was attached to in Lochac called
"Soggy Bogs" (don't ask).  Now, there was an internal joke within the household
called "the martyrdom tea-towel".  It was a wet tea-towel (usually put to
prolific use by the recipient that day).  It would be 'awarded' by the household
to one of their number who had probably been over effusive in their umm
'dramatics' re lots work/no official recognition.

One feast the household prepared was attended by a King (for some areas this may
be commonplace, but in Oz it is a less usual occurrence).  The King was staying
with some of the household & learned of this particular household 'award' and
was asked to present it to the next recipient.

The household was expecting it to be done quite unofficially . . . the King had
different ideas and it was done in the middle of Court as an official
presentation.  So I don't know, since a King has done it (and its in the West)
is there now an "order of the Martyrdom tea-towel"?

Lorix