SC - Open VS Closed Kitchens (Rant)

Black Jade Black_Jade at bigpond.com
Mon Apr 10 20:20:34 PDT 2000

I think we need to relax here a bit. I'm not entirely sure that there IS
such a thing as an open, or closed. kitchen, unless there's a household
thing going on.

My experience has been, that  when I volunteered to help a Laurel Cook in my
own area, that he has such an efficient assistant, that other than some odd
chopping, he just doesn't need me, so I have always wandered off and found
something else to help with- Troll, Archery, Stuph runs, whatever. There's
just some people like that. Actually, it encouraged me to become a
Chirurgeon, something I regret daily (Yeah, right ;-)

When I worked for Adamantius and Ras, we planned it several months in
advance- and what they had indicated they wanted me to do, bore little
resemblance to what I wound up doing.

When I cooked a lunch for the event in Dayton, just as I was going out the
door, news came across the 'Net that, despite the event flyer and other ads,
there would be no lunch served, so I did the fair thing, emailed them back,
said "Yes, there would be" and grabbed some things to make a soup, available
for up to 100 people.

With the MK Coronation happening at the end of this month, I volunteered as
soon as I knew who the cook was, simply because she's a Lady I like and
respect from several Lists, and I'm expecting to have a great time, with the
little bit I'm doing to help.

Don't limit your options- rather option your limits. Don't be worrying
because you can't do what you think you want to do- find something new, and
give it your best shot- chances are, you have just opened up your interests.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous