SC - dietary restrictions

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 11 10:19:40 PDT 2000

Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> hey all from Anne-Marie
> maybe I'm old fashioned, but I find a heart felt thankyou to each person
> means more than any token or gizmo. I try really hard to make a point of
> going about the kitchen, throughout the day, and making sure each person
> knows that their efforts are appreciated by me.

[snip]

> different people need different levels of strokes, but I find that a
> sincere expression of gratitude, from me, to them, seems to go a long way...
>
> just my two cents...:)

....and a couple of sous from me as well:

Lainie and I just had a discussion last month concerning recognition.
Part of my position is I'd rather have the personal thanks and gratitude
of individual people than be called up in court for an award or public
thanking. For Investiture, the new Princess (also a veteran cook) sent
for me towards the end of the feast (not a court) and gifted me a box of
assorted spices. Low key and a very appropriate choice. The memorable
moments for me was the King sending someone back to the kitchen for more
Brie Tart, and the Right Honourable Baranne de Bayard de Montchesne,
affectionately known as the Curmudgeon of the Summits, gushing over how
good the food tasted. The context is she is not easily impressed and
conservative on praise (except 'Laine and I are among her favourite
surrogate children). I can't imagine trading that moment for a Grant or
a Peerage. Oh, well, I'm really sweet on her as well.

I chose not to recognize my staff in court business, but sought them out
after the feast with my basket of spice mixes. Each time was personal,
not public, and I like it that way. Especially with my Hall Steward. ;-)

Seumas