SC - dietary restrictions

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 11 10:19:40 PDT 2000

Hello the list!

Just my thoughts on religious dietary restrictions (no, this is not a
commentary on religion itself):

I cannot imagine that anyone in the modern western world follows religious
dietary restrictions out of fear of being struck down by lightning for not
following them.  Therefore, I surmise (long words today!) that they do it
from choice, just as vegetarians do.

Just as vegetarians are allowed to follow their chosen diet without being
told what fools they are for doing so, I suggest that those of us who choose
to follow religious diets be allowed the same freedom.

Yes, I do fast during Lent, even though my denomination does not require it.
  I do it as a personal expression of my religion, and object to being told
not to.  Sorry if I'm being touchy, but here people are gearing up for
Pesach, which allows the things Lent doesn't, and bans the things Lent
allows...

As regards food while fasting, I think it pefectly reasonable to ask why a
restriction may disallow something, without getting into culinarily
irrelevant politico-religious discussions (I said I was using long words
today - eek!).

Cairistiona

P.S.  Is it called fasting because the funny diet goes through you quicker??
  Sorry...