SC - Chopping onions

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Thu Apr 13 14:34:32 PDT 2000

<< BTW, where did you find the original >>

In the bookcase on the left of my desk, undermost shelf... ;-)

<< is it commonly available? >>

I thinks so. The text was published in the famous Monumenta Germaniae
Historica series which should be in most of the major research
libraries. Several MGH-items are still available as a reprint, too (try
www.vlb.de).

<< I am researching the origins of verjus and other "common" (in the
middle ages) French foods. The Charlemagne info is interesting for it's
after Anthimus but before Enseignements, which is the next document I
have in French timeperiod. >>

An interesting project! Can you tell us (me) more about it? Recently, I
met someone, who wrote a book on Apicius, and he was interested in a
similar question: when and where are the Apician ingredients used in
_later_ times. E.g., he mentioned a chronicle saying that ship loads
with garum came to Marseille from the North African garum industries.
(Don't remember the source nor the century.)

Did you use "La bataille de caresme et de charnage" too? Somewhat
earlier than the Enseignements; not a recipe book, true, but a poetic
debate between lent and the time of non-lent (?), where many kinds of
food stuff are mentioned.

And did you or anybody else see the Enseignements-edition of Carole
Lambert in print? (How) Does it differ from the 1933 Lozinski edition?

Thomas