SC - Artemisia Crown Tourney Feast

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Thu Apr 13 17:47:13 PDT 2000

In a message dated 04/13/2000 7:58:26 AM EST, piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
writes:

> My Lady has said that we have to make a note of this Burger King so that we
> can add it to our itinerary - if we ever get to travel to the US - (along
> with "The Biggest Ball of String in the World" and those rocks from Star
> Trek.  I think that I might stay home for that trip!

> I am also under orders to place a link to the site on the Ynys Fawr
> webpage - with the page's creator's permission, of course.

> Gwynydd of Culloden

Dear Cooks' List members,

I undertook a pilgrimage to that very Burger King yesterday on behalf of
those among who cannot get there, and for those who are curious among us
(including me ;-)).
I have the following to report.

And it was every bit as interesting as the pictures depict.  The three murals
above the counter are actually painted onto a type of fabric, perhaps canvas,
which is stretched over and wrapped around an underlying board or frame, and
secured at the back, and although the paint showed slight fading and the
marks of being there for some time, still were quite spectacular (added to it
actually because it made them look "old".

The rest of the restaurant had, as seen in the pictures, various other
illustrations and devices decorating it, including the full suit of armour
which is to the right as you go in the door.  The "tower" to the left of the
door, filled almost a quarter of the dining space.  I didn't go up the steps
of the tower, but I intend to go back...

Next door to the Burger King is an arcade place called "Jester's Court"
(when you walk into main door of the building there are two doors in front of
you - angled a little towards each other.  The one on the left is to the
Burger King and the one to the right is to the Jester's Court).

Unable to contain my curiosity any longer I asked to speak to the manager
about the tapestries and other decorations.  He was busy flipping burgers for
a couple of minutes, but then came over to talk with me.  I didn't know
whether I should tell him that photos of his restaurant were actually winging
their way around the world via the SCA Cook's list (should I?) so I didn't
say anything about that, but instead asked him where all the stuff had come
from.

He said he had only been working there for three years, and that no-one
seemed to know much about it - it was a mystery to them.  All he knew was
that originally, supposedly, both the Jester's Court and the Burger King were
owned by the same man... (not now).  There is actually a connecting door
between the two stores, to the right of the counter, and a poem written on
the wall beside the door inviting the reader to step through the door to play
in The Jester's Court.

The manager did give me a contact to call - the person who had worked there
the longest - but I have not yet been able to get in touch with him.  If he
knows more I will post it.

YIS
Elysant