OOPs----Re: SC - Artemisia Crown Tourney Feast

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Thu Apr 13 17:51:26 PDT 2000

     Greetings one and all!

    Finally had my chance to be Head Cook,  and I did well. I fed 150 at
Feast, and more than that for the Side Board. (gate tells me the tally was
~ 300 people)   The Side Board (lunch) consisted of:  Lentil with Ham Soup,
Barley Beef Soup, and Chickpea Soup (with a Veg variation).  Meat Pies,
Ember Day Tarts, Viaunde of Cypres Ryalle,  oranges & strawberries,  olives,
bread, butter, honey, and Welsh Cakes.

    Feast consisted of two Courses:   Baked Ham with 2 mustards,  Golden
Leeks& Onions, Pasternakes & Scyrrts, Hony Douse and Gyngerbrede.  Asparogos
with Lemon,  Roast beef  Aujus,  grilled mushrooms & horseradish sauce,
Barley & Funges, Syrosye, wafers.  Bread  butter, Sekajaben,  boiled eggs &
a venison sausage as "appi-teasers" on the tables just prior to feast.

The Sekajaben was a variation:  using dried spearmint  to make a tea, and
then making the simple sugar with that & adding the wine vinegar.  Used
Oxtail for the barley beef soup,   and  most everything came from a period
source.  The vegs werre in their own broth or I used a veg broth/stock.

    The hot food went out hot, the cold stuff went out cold,  everyone was
full to groaning, and I did not under-estimate the meat  (I was worrying I
hadn't enough) at 3 persons/pound.   ALL of the kitchen staff  had a break
about mid-aftrnoon to watch the final round  coz we were that far ahead of
schedule.   Many many compliments for the efforts  -- only one main
criticism from one person:  not enough of the venison sausage --which was a
last minute gift from a  member of the populace -- something not planned at
all.

I wonder when my next one will be?

Caointiarn