SC - Peeling garlic and chopping onions

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Apr 14 23:17:00 PDT 2000

A while back, I mentioned a chapter on water in a 16th century health
manual.  I've been taking a break from trying to translate it, since the
language is very... medical and hard to render into English.  I'll try to get
back to it soon.

In brief, however, Dr. Luis Lobera de Avila (court physician to Carlos V)
recommends water for the treatment of various illnesses.  Sometimes it
is administered cold, sometimes boiled with herbs.  I cannot tell from
this if people of the time voluntarily drank water as a beverage.  Medical
and nutritional texts generally reflect what people *should* be doing, but
not necessarily what they *are* doing.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann