SC - sumac

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 18 10:29:57 PDT 2000

Hello the list!

Kiri wrote:

>The only thing you mentioned that is truly scary to me is the sea
>cucumber...I've seen those things in restaurants in Japan, not to mention
>crawling around (if that's what you can call how they move) on the floor of
>the
>inlet near where we lived in Papua New Guinea!  Ughh........

Well, they wriggle at any rate.  I remember my lord's 3rd year biology
course (gosh, that must be about 12 years ago, now) went on a field trip to
a small island off Oz, and part of the work was trying to collect scats from
sea cucumbers.  Now the other side of the island was a very exclusive
resort, the inhabitants of whom were rather surprised to see 20-odd students
coming in for a week, carrying boxes and boxes of prophylactics (to put
around the sea-cucumbers to catch the scats - not that the resort people
knew that).  They were even more surprised when the entire load washed up on
their half of the beach the next morning - the wretched little animals had
wriggled out of the damn things...

Cairistiona