SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2152 egg sizes

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Apr 19 18:24:32 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/18/00 3:23:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

> al.  It
>  is exceptionally good when used to make...you guessed it...Chapati.  Now,
>  does anyone have an Indian reference for Chapati in period?
There is an excellent book entitled "Historical Dictionary of Indian Food",
available from Oxford University Press, costing about $35.  It probably does
touch on the antiquity of the various breads so popular and important in
Indian cookery.  Unfortunately, this book sold VERY poorly, even at Pennsic,
and I've stopped carrying it.  Maybe a large library might have it.

In terms of vegetarian meals, Indians of the Hindu religion are I believe
very often fairly strict vegetarians, so perhaps using their recipes and meal
plans would ensure that one got good balance and nutrition in meals.
Devra the Baker
Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com
devra at aol.com