SC - Hard as little rocks

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Apr 20 06:19:52 PDT 2000

> You know, I tried parsnips for the first time about a month ago, and I have
> to say that I don't think I care for them.

Try this ( I am sure it is not period, but it IS very yummy ):

Slice 1 lb Parsnips about 1/4 inch thin slices and fry in a little oil and butter
until very well browned. (dont be timid, more done is better than less done!)

Melt 1/2 stick butter and and 1/4 cup honey together and add 1 tsp
fresh chopped tarragon. 1 1/2 tsp dried (or more if the tarragon is old) Place
the parsnips in a bowl, and pour honey mixture on it. Toss and serve hot.

The key to this is the pan fry which caramelizes the parsnips and brings out
the natural sweetness which is otherwise held in the woody root cells.

You can do this recipe with Carrots, too, especially if they are those big
woody ones you get in high summer.

Brandu