SC - molds for gingerbread

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 21 13:00:45 PDT 2000

- --- CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:
> Daylight Time,
> ahrenshav at yahoo.com writes:
>
> > Actually, there is documentation that food fights
> were
> >  period.  However, they were looked down upon then
> just
> >  as they are looked down upon today.
> >
> >  Personally, I would be appalled if one broke out
> at
> >  any feast that I was cooking for.  I think that
> food
> >  fights are an insult to the cooks and I would
> have the
> >  perps be made to clean the hall on their hands
> and
> >  knees with a toothbrush for such immature
> behavior.
> >

> I don't think we are talking about chucking whole
> platters of venison across
> the hall (wait...are we?), but rather a little light
> hearted hi-jynx after
> the repast has finished.  Crusts of uneaten bread,
> pieces of nuts,
> pudding...that sort of thing.
>
> Balthazar of Blackmoor
> (who, if he was mistaken about the platters of
> venison, demands an invitation
> to THAT feast)

But someone has to clean all of that up.  And I
certainly wouldn't want pudding thrown at me and ruin
my garb.  I can't tell you how many costumes I have
had ruined by accidental spillages and the bucks I
have had to spend on dry cleaning and repairs, etc.
But accidents happen.  To have garb ruined
deliberately is unconscionable and should not be
tolerated.

I don't know about other kingdoms, but Caid has a
policy that we leave a place, be it a public park or a
church hall, cleaner than we found it.  I can't tell
you how many times I have rented a hall and had to mop
the floors before the event began.  But even if the
hall was a pig sty before the event, I would never
leave the site dirty because of some juvenile food
fight.  And I think that it is only appropriate that
the offenders be made to clean up after themselves.
This way, they will think twice before doing so again.

I like to create a good rapport with the church halls
that I use.  Inexpensive ones are few and far between
in Caid.  And ones with appropriate ambiance and are
available to outside groups are scarcer than hens
teeth.  I have had one church ask us to use their hall
more often, so they could get rid of their custodian.
However, if the bishop, or priest or minister or even
a parrishioner should happen by [and they do at the
most awkward moments] and see a food fight, I can
guarantee you that we would never be able to use that
hall again.
Twenty years ago we almost lost a great hall because
someone wore a pentacle and a parrishioner thought we
were a Satanic cult.  A couple of years ago, the
Barony of Lyondemere lost a beautiful Masonic hall
because someone was caught drinking in the parking
lot.  These things occasionally happen and we can't do
much about it.  But advocating food fights would be
very irresponsible and the potential for losing hard
to find sites would not be worth the momentary "fun".

Huette