SC - Carrots and Turnips-Period?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Apr 22 23:20:28 PDT 2000

Ras said:
>  << If nothing else make sure whoever is serving your tables has a basic
> understanding of what is in each dish.>>
>
> I post ingredients lists and menus. If a guest is that concerned then they
> need only to take a few minutes to read them.

However, simply posting an ingredients list and a menu does not absolve
the cook or staff from any further work communicating with the wait
staff or the feasters.

I have been to feasts, where despite a posted menu, it was often
difficult to know which dish applied to which title in the posted menu.
Sometimes this was because the cook wanted to be cute and use only the
original recipe names or recipe names in a non-English language. If
you are going to do that, also put a more modern name or a description
of the dish. It does little good to know the name of the dish that
includes the food item you are allergic to, if then when it is served
you can't tell which dish that is.

And effort should be made if at all possible to inform the serving
staff of changes to the menu or ordering of the courses. Sometimes
it is unavoidable to have to re-arrange the dishes from one course
to another due to problems in the kitchen but let the servers know
so they can tell the feasters. Some cooks seem to get awlfully upset
about feasters poking their heads into the kitchen to ask about
what that dish that was just served was or why they haven't seen a
dish in the first course that the menu said was going to be served
then but wasn't. So minimize this by letting the servers spread the
news of any changes.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net