SC - A new project....

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Sun Apr 23 21:14:05 PDT 2000

Ras wrote:

>I'm not certain but Miriam -Webster says>
>
>pol*lack or pol*lock (noun), plural pollack or pollock
>
>[Middle English poullok, perhaps from ScotGael pollag or Irish pollog]
>
>First appeared 15th Century
>
> 1 : a commercially important north Atlantic food fish (Pollachius virens)
>related to and resembling the cods but darker

Yes, but as I´ve said, pollack and pollock are not the same fish. Pollack
(Pollachius pollachius) is the English name for a fish caught in the North
Atlantic - quite good to eat but not very important commercially - usually
about 40-50 centimetres long. (Atlantic) pollock is the American name for
saithe, somwhat larger and much more abundant; the flesh of an adult fish is
greyish in color, has more fat than cod and rather coarse but younger fish
are whiter and more finely textured. Alaska pollock (walleye pollock) is
another species (Theragra chalcogramma), fairly similar to Atlantic pollock
but I understand it is whiter, especially if it has only been frozen once.
This last one is the type used for imitation "crab meat".

Nanna