SC - Cooking Laurels

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Apr 24 07:43:09 PDT 2000

hey all from Anne-Marie

RObeard asks:
>I've had several converations with members in my area along the subject of
>cooking and its association with the Arts/Sciences.  One particular area of
>interest is the making of a Laurel in Cooking.  What I'd like know is what
>were Laurels recognized for to receive their Peerage?  I've seen the
>discussion about a "Laurel's kitchen" versus a "Pelican's kitchen".  I
>assume the Laurel built their status through continued participation in A&S
>compititions.  What kind of projects eventually led to being elevated to
>Laurel?  Is there particular documentation that should be used (i.e.
>original manuscripts, interpretations by researchers, "approved" list of
>sources, etc.)?

I know different kingdoms do things differently, but here in An Tir, we
dont have "cooking Laurels", but we have lots of laurels who cook. It is
important, at least in this kingdom, that the person be well rounded in
their service to the arts. An An Tir, we dont give laurels 'for" anything,
but there are indeed things that the crown and council recognises the
individual for.

I have a Laurel (as of last sept! still not used to it....). In my ceremony
and vigil, they mentioned cooking a lot, but they also mentioned music and
teaching and persona development and metal and wood and leather and stuff.
When they talked about cooking, they specifically mentioned my long time
service in the kitchen, but mostly the fact that I took primary source
material and made it accessible to everyone else through reconstructing
recipes, publishing cookbooks, teaching classes, preparing feasts, etc.
They also said in the ceremony that I was being recognised for my skill
with "cocaine", but I assume that was a slip of the tongue by the
herald....:) (we were all a bit frazzled at the time)

I have only entered one A/S competition in my whole life and that was years
and years ago. I only started being asked to judge last year, and so have
only judged twice (and I always seem to get the wierd categories, like the
live poultry I was asked to judge this year!).

Sure, A/S competitions go a long way to bringing you to the notice of the
crown and council, but that has nothing to do with winning usually, nor
does it seem obligatory.

But please beware that you are not going at this backwards....the purpose
for doing cooking and reserach should not be for the achievement of a
pewter dangly or some meaningless letters after your name. We all desire
validation of people we admire, but I would assure you that this is
certainly acheievable without the award. Do good work. Do good work
cheerfully. Teach others openly. Comport yourself with dignity and grace,
even when the chicken is on fire and the pie crust is soggy five minutes
before serving. Validation comes from others when you show them what you
are capable of. IF the council in your area has the same values you do,
they will recognise you with the pewter dangly thing. if not, then you
should still be having fun doing what you enjoy, and garnering the respect
of people who DO share your values of good food, good company and good
will. and isnt that what really matters?

just my two sous....
- --AM