SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2180 - missing posts

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Apr 24 14:39:49 PDT 2000

> >The reason I joined to this list was because I didn't find anyone at the
> >local level that thought the research and testing of old recipes was a fun
> >way to play with food. I've met some since then but they are at the same
> >level I am.

Just because you don't have a "Cooking Laurel"  handy doesn't mean
you have to be stuck where you are.  You can always get together and
experiment and learn together.  One of the things that I so enjoyed
about the cooking guild that I was party to when I lived in An Tir
was that 5 or 6 loyal of us that got together each month knew about
the same when it came to period foods and cooking.  A few could read
and interpret the ME from the recipes we were working with and
other's understood weights and measures.  Still others were pretty
well versed in modern cooking techniques to be able to figure out
that milking an almond did not require an little tiny stool.
Together we put on 3 humdinger feasts.  None of us were Laurels, none
of us had recieved awards or recognition for cooking either (other
than the full-bellied groans of our stuffed guests.)

Why does it take a "Cooking Laurel" to take a copy of Cury on
Englyshe and pull out some recipes.  A fun thing to do (which we did
on several occaissions) was to take a recipe from Cury or Plantina
and figure out what we thought we were supposed to do.  Then after we
were done compared our notes to the recipes that are in Cariodoc's
Miscellany.  Interesting how two sets of cooks can come up with some
similar (and not so similar) interpretations from the same period
source.  Which was right?  We will never know.

Melbrigda
There was som deceptyon or frawdulent
induction that hath made her to condescende
therunto

Visit my website at http://milkmama.tripod.com/sca.html