SC - educational links, etc.

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at aracnet.com
Tue Apr 25 14:09:26 PDT 2000

Well, I was never an apprentice. My own situation, inclination, and
household affiliation precluded any sort of formal relationship. I did learn
how to network, mostly by
showing up in other people's kitchens and volunteering (I still show up in
kitchens, mostly because I like to be there and I'm very nosy about what's
for dinner). Plus, good cooks always turn out to be good friends. Networking
helps.

I happen to have three apprenti, and only two are cooking candidates (they
have other artforms as well). The third is a superb professional
spinner/weaver/storyteller in mundaia, and though I know a little something
about the artform, her job is to teach ME. My job is to help her along by
showing her how to research and document, how to "show", how to seperate
historical wheat from the chaff, if you will, and apply it to SCA projects.
I get help from other laurels for this apprentice, ones who have greater
knowledge
than mine in the subject area. I am basically a director in her SCA
arts-career. It doesn't hurt that she is a dear friend. I actually consider
us all equals, I am in no way my apprenti's superior. I am superbly lucky to
have such wonderful apprenti, and am constantly delighted when folks come by
and offer their envy in my choices.  I consider it my duty to help teach
anyone who asks, however. I am not limiting my resources to my own hosehold.
That would be unchivalrous, IMHO, and is one of the ways I feel a laurel
differs from other peerages. It's our job to support the arts however we
may---we're less feudal about it than other peers.

The point here is that if you can find a laurel who likes and can work with
you, they need not be an expert in your field, though that is very helpful.
First and foremost is your relationship with the laurel, however, and their
willingness to be of assistance.

Cheers

Aoife

Bonne penned:
I've wondered about this for a long time.  Is apprentiship a requirement for
eventually getting a laurel?  Or just a tradition that you can get around by
doing everything that much more loudly, obviuosly and longer in order to get
the laurels who are busy singing and lace-making and etc. to notice? What if
you don't know a cooking laurel you feel close enough, as in location as
well as in compatability, to make such a commitment to?

The reason I joined to this list was because I didn't find anyone at the
local level that thought the research and testing of old recipes was a fun
way to play with food. I've met some since then but they are at the same
level I am.  I've since learned there is a cooking laurel in this kingdom,
but I've never met her face to face and wouldn't be able to work with her in
person even if we weren't moving away.  Then again, if I were apprenticed,
perhaps that would change the events I would choose to attend, because of
having a laurel to need to see.